Monday, February 21, 2011

Top 20 Left Fielders of All-Time

When I was writing my post about the All-Left Field Team, it occurred to me how many non-Hall of Famers I rank higher than those who are actual members of the Hall. So, I decided to produce a list of my top 20 all-time left fielders.

It turns out, the National Baseball Hall of Fame lists 20 left fielders among its membership. However, there are quite a few differences between that list and this one:
  1. Barry Bonds
  2. Ted Williams
  3. Stan Musial
  4. Rickey Henderson
  5. Carl Yastrzemski
  6. Ed Delahanty
  7. Fred Clarke
  8. Joe Jackson
  9. Jesse Burkett
  10. Al Simmons
  11. Manny Ramirez
  12. Goose Goslin
  13. Tim Raines
  14. Sherry Magee
  15. Billy Williams
  16. Willie Stargell
  17. Joe Medwick
  18. Joe Kelley
  19. Zack Wheat
  20. Minnie Minoso
The names in italics are not Hall of Famers. Of course, Bonds and Ramirez are not yet eligible, and Jackson is on the permanently ineligible list. But, Raines, Magee and Minoso are the most deserving left fielders who aren't in the Hall.

What Hall of Famers didn't make this list? Well, first of all, the Hall's web site lists Musial as a first baseman, so there are actually seven who are missing. Can you name them? I'll be writing more about at least one of them in the not-too-distant future.

1 comment: