Friday, June 24, 2011

Sixpoint Sweet Action

It's been a while since I've discussed my new-found interest in discovering the best canned craft beer offerings. In terms of the selections that are readily available locally, three breweries are major players: Colorado's Oskar Blues Brewery, San Francisco's 21st Amendment, and upstate New York's Butternuts Beer and Ale. That is, until now.

On the way home from work this evening, I discovered another entry into the canned craft beer derby. Several offerings from Brooklyn's Sixpoint Craft Ales are now available at my preferred local store, and tonight's choice was their Sweet Action, an amber ale that Sixpoint describes as "...a simple representation of what makes beer great—the marriage of barley and hops, in a harmonious balance for your mind, body and soul."

The beer was already half-consumed at this point, lest you think this was a flat pour.

Since I've always advocated for the importance of hops/malt balance, the emphasis on this all-important quality in this particular brew made it pretty much essential that I give it a try, and I was not disappointed.

As advertised, it's a very well-balanced beer, and at 5.2% ABV it makes for an excellent session beer. It's slightly yeasty as well, a quality that reminds me of home brewing, which is never a bad thing.

Sixpoint's offerings come in 16-oz. cans, which came as a very pleasant surprise to me. Seriously, why should we settle for 12-oz. servings at home when we're used to drinking full pints in bars? Actually, the cheater pints that are used in most bars hold closer to 14 ounces, but that's a discussion for another day.

Anyway, I'll definitely return to the store for a taste of more of what Sixpoint has to offer, and I'm sure it will be a worthwhile venture.

No comments:

Post a Comment