Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Hall of Stats and Last Night's Dodgers-Diamondbacks Brawl

It's no secret I'm a huge fan of the Hall of Stats. So, after noticing all the highly rated players-turned-coaches who were in the middle of last night's Dodgers-Diamondbacks brawl, I tweeted:
Then I added the qualifier:
To which, I received the following response:
Things kind of took off from there, with Nick Pain (@tenlbpain) doing most of the heavy lifting:

I asked Nick if he was just looking at rosters or if he'd identified each guy in the melee, and he assured me it was a combination of both. That is, he used the rosters to refresh his memory, then actually looked for the guys in the scrum. I'm taking him at his word.* 

*UPDATE: I personally confirmed every player listed below, except Valentin.

So, here's the (unofficial) final tally:

Alan Trammell - 143
Mark McGwire - 124
Matt Williams - 89
Don Mattingly - 78
Davey Lopes - 74
Kirk Gibson - 69
Tim Wallach - 65
John Valentin - 64
Charles Nagy - 50
Don Baylor - 41
Rick Honeycutt - 41**
Steve Sax - 37
Chuck Crim - 15
Turner Ward - 7

TOTAL - 897

**UPDATE #2: Thanks to Nick, I was able to personally identify Valentin. I'm also almost 100% certain I recognize Honeycutt, bringing the total to 897.

That's the equivalent of almost nine Hall of Fame careers, which has to be some kind of record.

There may have been more, as Rick Honeycutt, Ken Howell, Manny Mota and Steve Yeager are all uniformed members of the Dodgers' coaching staff. For some reason, the Diamondbacks' list of coaches on their web site is much shorter.

Anyway, if you can confirm involvement of any additional former players, please say so in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment