Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Year in Music #6:
Okkervil River - The Silver Gymnasium

Since much of this year's countdown is a celebration of the blog's 10 years of existence, I don't mind repeating myself by saying Okkervil River's latest is excellent, but it's no Black Sheep Boy.

I'm pretty sure I've said that for every Okkervil album since 2005. But, then again, judging by how I felt about that album, it's pretty safe to say they'll never match it.

Okkervil River is one of two bands in this year's  top ten who have been here before. Actually, there are also three singersVolcano Choir's Justin Vernon being onewho have appeared in my top ten before, but with other bands.

The Silver Gymnasium is a nostalgic record, and oh do you know how I love nostalgia. On this effort, I particularly love when Will Sheff waxes "Tell me about the greatest show, or the greatest movie you know, or the greatest song that you taped off the radio. Play it again and again, it cuts off at the ending, though" on the album's best track "Down Down the Deep River."

No comments:

Post a Comment