Thursday, December 28, 2006

Best of 2006 - Part 3

The top 30 is where it really starts to get good...

30. Golden Smog - Another Fine Day
A fine comeback album for the so-called alternative Traveling Wilburys. Will this be Gary Louris' primary outlet now that The Jayhawks are history?

29. Jason Collett - Idols of Exile
A really great rootsy effort from the Broken Social Scene sideman.

28. Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass
This one would've been better with a little editing, but there are some really great moments here.

27. Editors - The Back Room
26. The Walkmen - A Hundred Miles Off
25. The Futureheads - News and Tributes
Critics and fans of these three bands seemed to be mostly disappointed, but I enjoyed all three, although the Walkmen album was a little weaker than their last.

24. Centro-Matic - Fort Recovery
The AllMusic entry for Varnaline refers to them as a "crunch rock" band, but in my opinion Centro-Matic's sound embodies this description more than any. This one starts strong and tails off near the end, but overall is a very solid effort.

23. The Long Winters - Putting the Days to Bed
One of my absolute favorite power pop albums of the year.

22. Asobi Seksu - Citrus
One review I read referred to this album as "music for summer days driving around with the top down" or something like that. I absolutely agree, although it is surprising that I like it so much, given my general distaste for Japanese female vocalists.

21. Tres Chicas - Bloom, Red & The Ordinary Girl
While my taste seems to be drifting from the purely alt-country (whatever that is) stuff, it's the female vocalists in this genre who are keeping my attention. I liked this one so much, I bought it for my Dad for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment