Sunday, March 04, 2012

New Beers Resolution Update #1

Two months into my new beers resolution and it's so far, so good. I'm up to 30 unique beers in that time frame, so that puts me on a pace of 180 for the year, if I make it that far.

A few weeks ago, I opted for a Samuel Adams Summer Ale—yes, in the dead of winter—because it was offered to me by my neighbor. So, that's another fall-back beer I won't have available to me as the year progresses. In hindsight, I should have gone the mixed-drink route, since that was also an option. After all, if someone offers me a vodka-and-tonic or a Budweiser, I'm taking the former. I'm also allowed to drink the same label of hard liquor (year to date: zero) or type of wine (one, so far) as many times as I want. I don't think this is cheating, right? Beer is really what this resolution is about, anyway, but I'm pretty sure it won't really be an issue.

What may be even more of a problem than the home brew conundrum I pointed out in my original post on the subject are the post-softball game beers. I don't partake in these after every game, but often enough that it's going to be a challenge.

You see, our sponsor is a bar, so that's where we gather after games, and there's quite the limited selection, with Smithwick's and Guinness being the best options. Beyond these, we're talking only a few other light beer offerings.

But, the real problem will be the 30-packs of Bud Light consumed at the field immediately after games, a practice which usually starts once the weather gets warmer. Again, when I stick around, I usually have one or two. After a game, they go down pretty easy. I'm not too much of a beer snob to admit that. But, one can after one game and I'll be at my self-imposed limit. So, I'm not really sure what I'm going to do about that.

Anyway, I created this Beers of 2012 page to track the progress of this unusual goal, so check it out if you're so inclined. The year's highlights, among those I'd never drank before, so far include:
  • Saratoga Lager
  • Double-Wide IPA
  • Pipeline Porter
  • Slumbrew Flagraiser IPA
  • Left Hand Milk Stout
  • Pied Piper IPA

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm Left-Hand Milk Stout. We'll have to have one together next year ;)

    ReplyDelete