Friday, October 12, 2012

BBA Awards, Part 4: Walter Johnson

In part four of this series, I'm offering up my selections for the BBA's Walter Johnson Award, our group's equivalent of Major League Baseball's Cy Young Award.

I don't really have time to over-analyze these picks, so I'm just going to cut right to the chase here.

The American League award really comes down to just two guys, Detroit's Justin Verlander and Tampa Bay's David Price, and to be completely honest, it's not too difficult a decision to choose between them. For the second year in a row, Verlander was the league's best pitcher.

Walter Johnson Award - AL
  1. Justin Verlander, Detroit Tigers
  2. David Price, Tampa Bay Rays
  3. Chris Sale, Chicago White Sox
  4. Felix Hernandez, Seattle Mariners
  5. Jered Weaver, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

To me, the National League is a three-horse race between R.A. Dickey, Johnny Cueto and Clayton Kershaw. I will say I kind of wanted to vote for Dickey, but I honestly think the only argument that can be made against Kershaw is he only won 14 games. That's not a very good argument.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Walter Johnson Award - NL
  1. Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
  2. R.A. Dickey, New York Mets
  3. Johnny Cueto, Cincinnati Reds
  4. Gio Gonzalez, Washington Nationals
  5. Cole Hamels, Philadelphia Phillies

No comments:

Post a Comment