Friday, December 16, 2016

Best Music of 2016, Part 1

As evidenced by the almost non-existent output of this blog over the last couple of years, time to write has been dwindling -- or, I'm just less inclined to make time, I suppose.

Either way, I'm still committed to counting down my favorite albums of the year over the remaining days of December, although there will be fewer words accompanying these than usual.


33. Sam Beam & Jesca Hoop - Love Letter for Fire
Lots of interesting collaborations this year. Even better ones to come...




32. The I Don't Cares - Wild Stab
Paul Westerberg teams up with Juliana Hatfield to release his best material in over a decade.




31. Leonard Cohen - You Want it Darker
This is not the only critically acclaimed album by an artist who died in 2016, but it's my favorite.




30. Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam - I Had a Dream That You Were Mine
Probably Leithauser's best post-Walkmen release, although I ranked his solo debut higher.




29. The Avalanches - Wildflower
Albums that are over an hour tend to drag a bit, and this is no exception, but the high points really make it worth the effort.




28. Mitski - Puberty 2
Three of the first eight albums revealed here are by femaled-fronted acts or male/female duos. Stayed tuned, as 9 of the top 25 are by the fairer gender as well.




27. Matt Pond PA - Winter Lives
I like to think of this band as the musical equivalent of comfort food.




26. Nada Surf - You Know Who You Are
My friend Sara recently referred to Matt Pond PA and Nada Surf as both falling into a certain category of alt-rock easy listening...and I think she actually meant it in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment